NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L Archives

National Louis University Announcements Archives

NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L@LISTSERV.NL.EDU

From:
NLU Announcement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:36:23 +0000
Dear Members of the National Louis University Community,

We have heard a myriad of concerns from faculty, staff, and students regarding the fear of changes in American immigration laws and enforcement. These fears are already being realized by actions that may affect the lives of some of our students, our faculty, and their families. At NLU, we have an obligation to ensure that all of our students are able to take advantage of the educational opportunity we offer without fear for their well-being. At this moment, we are particularly focused on undocumented students, students with legal status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) executive order, and international students and faculty who are here on visas.

With respect to the first two categories, we will do everything we can within the limits of the law to support them and fulfill our promise of educational opportunity.  In addition, we will work to support legislation that is being proposed that will extend support for DACA students.  With respect to our international students and employees, we strongly recommend, that if it is at all possible, that international travel is avoided for the time being.

In keeping with the ideals on which this nation and this University were founded, we are committed to the education and welfare of students from all backgrounds and nations. We value diverse experiences and perspectives, and believe that the education we provide is a vehicle that allows our students to go on to lead lives that benefit their community, this country and the world. In addition, NLU's scholarship assistance to non-U.S. citizens, which is independent of federal financial aid programs, will continue regardless of immigration policies.

Our policies and practices ensure student protection, even as we respect legal requirements.  As is true of other institutions of higher learning, we do not share student records and other materials with immigration agencies. Nor does the University's security department inquire about or record an individual's immigration status, or participate with other law-enforcement agencies in any policing action related to immigration. We will not permit federal officials on campus to gather information about immigrants in our community without a subpoena or similar legal order.  The University enrolls students without regard to their residency status.

We will continue current policies and practices and also do more. We will work with our counterparts at other colleges and universities and with legal experts to see what additional measures we can take to protect our students.   As a University, we believe that violence, harassment, and discrimination are the biggest threats to our country, and they undermine the vitality of our communities. Further honoring, and cultivating diversity of peoples and opinions is what makes the academy and our country strong, productive, and ethical.  As a University community, we must all stand with unwavering moral conviction that supports those values and helps us create a warm and welcoming environment for learning together.

Sincerely,

Nivine Megahed, Ph.D.
President