NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L Archives

National Louis University Announcements Archives

NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L@LISTSERV.NL.EDU

From:
NLU Announcement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:39:24 +0000
Trouble Viewing? Click Here<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=&msgid=0&act=111111&c=957735&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nl.edu%2Fadjunctnewsletter%2Farchivededitions%2FJanuary2017.cfm>.

[http://www.nl.edu/eblasts/adjunctnewsletter/images/header.jpg]
January 2017, Vol. 1, Edition 1 Adjunct Council Website »<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=&msgid=0&act=111111&c=957735&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nl.edu%2Fabout%2Fleadership%2Fprovost%2Ffacultyresources%2Fadjunctcouncil%2F>

Greetings from National Louis University Adjunct Council

The Adjunct Council is excited to begin a third year of the Adjunct Council Newsletter. The purpose of the newsletter is to briefly share practical information relevant to adjunct faculty. Inside the quarterly issue, you will find important dates, resources, contact information, adjunct accomplishments, and current news. With each issue, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, we will provide the latest news and resources to keep you updated and informed.
        [http://www.nl.edu/media/nlu/downloadable/adjunctcouncil/ac-icon1-150x150.jpg]

About the Adjunct Council       [About the Adjunct Council]     Mission of the Adjunct Council  [Mission of the Adjunct Council]

The Adjunct Council, which consists of 9 members holding three-year terms, held its first meeting in 2002. The purpose of the Council is to actively participate in University governance initiatives and work to improve the quality of life for adjunct faculty throughout NLU. The Council meets a minimum of 10 times within an academic year, in addition to selected council committees, and annually at Fall Connection.

The Adjunct Council's mission is (a) to represent the professional interests of the adjunct faculty at National Louis University (b) to enhance the adjunct faculty role at National Louis University through active participation in shared governance, (c) to advise the Provost and President on matters that concern the adjunct faculty at NLU.

Adjunct Council Meetings

Adjunct Council meetings are open to all adjuncts. Meetings are held the second Thursday of every month from 3:45pm-5:00pm at the Chicago campus (room #6017) or via Zoom Video Conference where we discuss issues pertinent to the adjunct community. If you are interested in attending, please contact Roy Kaelin at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

We welcome your thoughts and comments with a desire to present them to the appropriate university committee.

Upcoming Dates

Winter Term 2017

Jan 11:

 Winter quarter classes begin

Jan 16:

 Martin Luther King Jr. holiday (University closed)

February:

 Faculty Appreciation Month (more details coming soon!)

 Faculty Forums: Examining Core Post-secondary Practices (more information below)

Feb 14:

 First 5-week classes end

Feb 21:

 First 6-week classes end

Feb 24:

 Faculty Appreciation Reception, 3:00-5:00PM, Chicago campus

March 21:

 Winter 10-week classes end

March 28:

 Second 5- and 11-week classes end

For more dates visit www.nl.edu/academiccalendar<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=&msgid=0&act=111111&c=957735&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nl.edu%2Facademiccalendar>.

FACULTY FORUMS - February

All faculty are invited to participate in Faculty Forums offered throughout February. These learning opportunities will be presented by faculty at NLU. The goal is to learn about the unique ways that NLU faculty enact core practices in particular course and program contexts. The Forums will be offered via Zoom (online video presentations) at a variety of dates and times throughout the month. The topics are listed below.

Core practice topics:

1st week of February: Facilitating Content Discussions

2nd week of February: Using Formative Assessment of Student Learning

3rd week of February: Facilitating Team Work

4th week of February: Engaging Students in a Writing Process

A complete list of the Forums are available – click here<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=&msgid=0&act=111111&c=957735&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nl.edu%2Fupload%2FFebruary_Faculty_Forums.pdf>.

Who's Who at NLU

Renee Judd, Instructional Designer

I love my work in LITS because I know I am making a contribution to a high-quality online learning experience for our students and instructors. I also love the endless variety of challenges that await me each morning. My work falls into three areas: LMS Administration, technical support, and Instructional Design.

As NLU's lead LMS administrator, I manage our Desire2Learn system, including system settings and the integration of products such as Panopto and Turnitin. Each month I test and implement new features available through D2L's Continuous Delivery process. If something needs to happen on the NLU Online Campus, I’m likely to be involved in making it happen.

I provide D2L-related technical support as the second tier for the NLU Helpdesk for LMS issues. That means if the NLU helpdesk tells you they are going to escalate your ticket to the site, I will likely be the one to see it. If necessary (and it rarely is necessary), I can carry a problem forward to D2L’s support desk for a third tier of escalation.

As an instructional designer, I work with instructors and other subject matter experts to design and build new online courses and to update existing courses. It has been a privilege and honor to work with NLU’s amazing instructional design team, and I have learned so much in the process.

My formal preparation for this work includes a 19-H postgraduate program in instructional design from the University of Wisconsin and a technical curriculum in front-end design from Udacity. I have taken advantage of numerous ad hoc training and professional development opportunities in both technical and instructional design areas. Additionally, I taught at NLU for 15 years, which I think helps me understand the instructor perspective.

Did You Know?

>Educational Technology – Panopto

>Panopto is a cloud-based video platform built specifically for video-based training, teaching, and presenting. The platform is designed to be an all-in-one solution which includes all of the basic tools and services needed to create and securely share video-based learning materials and activities. In many ways Panopto can be thought of as our university’s private YouTube site.

>Once activated in any D2L course, the Panopto platform can be used to create, edit, and share videos. This is done through two main components including the Panopto recorder and the Panopto website. The recorder and website work together to simplify the video capture and upload process. Users also have the ability to bypass the recorder and upload their videos straight to the website.

>The Panopto Recorder is a lightweight application which enables users to capture and upload video with only a few clicks. The recorder can capture video and audio from any webcam or microphone connected to the computer, as well as the computer’s screen and audio. Once recorded, the video can be immediately uploaded to the Panopto website (which is integrated nicely into D2L).

>Learn more about using Panopto by going to the Panopto Quick Start Guide.<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=&msgid=0&act=111111&c=957735&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.panopto.com%2Fquickstart>

Adjunct Spotlight

The Adjunct Council recently received a copy of a letter from Stella Nicholson, Professional Adjunct Lecturer, who sought to praise her colleagues for helping her in a time of need. We have excerpted portions of that letter (below) for your perusal.

I Could Not Have Done It without All of You:

On July 31st I fell down two stairs thinking that the next step was the landing, unfortunately it was not. My husband wanted to take me to the emergency room that night but I was hoping in the morning it would be alright, I was wrong again.…Panic set in because I had two more weeks of school to teach and a private practice to run. I teach in the Counseling and Human Services Department and we were at the end of the Summer Quarter.…Others helped me too, the staff and my wonderful colleagues. All of my students during the summer and the fall have assisted me into my classroom. Thank God for rolling chairs, that look like wheel chairs.…People have asked me what I like about teaching and it is all about the students and providing the best education possible. NLU is invested in our students and that is the reason I have been grateful to have the ability to teach at this university...So in closing, I wish to thank everyone for their assistance in my time of need, I could not have done it without all of you.

Heartfelt Thanks,

Stella M. Nicholson, Professional Lecturer

Adjunct Council is pleased to highlight the scholarship of Debra Gurvitz and Deborah Shefren from the National College of Education.

Debra Gurvitz, NCE adjunct faculty, and Deborah Shefren, NCE and Adjunct Council, presented at the International Literacy Association last July in Boston. Their presentation was entitled: Mentor Text to Support Primary Reading Workshop Leads to Collaborative Conversations, Higher Level Comprehension, and Critical Thinking.

Drs. Gurvitz and Shefren also presented at the Illinois Reading Conference in Peoria this past September. Their presentation was entitled: Nonfiction Mentor Text: Craft, Coach and Content.

News You Can Use

Important Update on Changes in D2L

>Starting in winter term, the D2L “Dropbox” link in the top navigation bar will read “Assignments.” Please update your syllabus and assignments to reflect this change.

>Online Tutoring Services in D2L

>If you would like to include a direct link to tutor.com, NLU’s online 24/7 tutoring service, in your course, you can insert a quick link to an “External Learning Tool.” This will take students into the site already authenticated as an NLU student.

As an instructor, you can access data on your students’ usage of tutor.com. To do this, click on tutor.com found under “Student Support” in the top navigation bar of D2L. You’ll find a Client Admin Tool in blue at the top of the screen where you can search for specific student sessions, overall data on student usage, as well as a topic drilldown showing the specific topics and sub-topics students requested help with in your selected subject.

  *
  *
  *
>March 21, 2017 - To become self-directed learners, students must learn to monitor and adjust their approaches to learning.

________________________________

RSVP: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for specific discussion sessions
Locate ebook through the NLU library<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=&msgid=0&act=111111&c=957735&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fnational.worldcat.org%2Ftitle%2Fhow-learning-works-seven-research-based-principles-for-smart-teaching%2Foclc%2F468969206%26referer%3Dbrief_results>
Self-register in D2L course - Exploring Blended Learning at NLU – Faculty Development

Adjunct Council Roster

COLLEGE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES AND ADVANCEMENT (CPSA)

Roy Kaelin, Chair

Sharon McNeely, Chair-Elect

Kristen Mitchell

NATIONAL COLLEGE OF EDUCATION (NCE)

Nancy Hekkema

Terry Costello

Barbara Gomez, Secretary

Joy St. Pierre

Deborah Shefren

LIBRARY AND LEARNING SUPPORT LIAISON

Christina (Tina) Bavone

Adjunct questions or concerns, contact Roy Kaelin, Chair - [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Back to Top<applewebdata://2FD32C2B-6C08-47CE-8640-382C0EBB8E86#top>
© 2017 National Louis University. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=&msgid=0&act=111111&c=957735&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nl.edu%2Fprivacy%2F>.