NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L Archives

National Louis University Announcements Archives

NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L@LISTSERV.NL.EDU

From:
NLU Announcement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2016 21:18:32 +0000
Dear Colleagues,

We have officially kicked-off NLU's Month of Service! We encourage everyone to come together during the month to make a difference in the communities that we serve.  In the spirit of our nation's early tradition of barn raising<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_raising>, this is our opportunity to assist others by volunteering as neighbors helping neighbors in support of one another.

Throughout the month of May, staff, faculty and alumni are invited to contribute up to four hours during the work week to serve in various ways throughout their communities. To assist in finding somewhere to volunteer, we have created a Month of Service<http://www.nl.edu/universityconnection/volunteeropportunities/> web page with volunteer opportunities in the areas we serve.  Additionally, the NLU Civic Engagement Center<http://www.nl.edu/studentservices/civicengagement/volunteeropportunities/> offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. If you have a service opportunity that you would like to have added to the list, please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Upcoming Volunteer Events
As part of the month of Service, the NLU Civic Engagement Center and Veteran's Resource Center are hosting a Care Package Drive for the USO of Illinois.   There are several ways to get involved including donating items and /or monetary contributions. The Service Activity will be held at the Chicago campus on May 18 from 12:00-3:00 pm. For more information - http://www.nl.edu/newsevents/events/uso-drive.cfm.

We'd like to hear where everyone is serving throughout the month of May. If you have completed a service opportunity, please complete the following survey-https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NLUservice.  This helps us gather information on how many hours were completed, where everyone volunteered, and gather ideas for future community service opportunities. One person can complete this form for your entire group and/or each individual participant can complete the survey.

All volunteers, whether individuals or groups, are welcome and encouraged to take pictures and send them to HR as email attachments or share on Instagram at #NLUlife. We would also like to capture NLU volunteer groups in action. If you meet the criteria listed below and wish to have photos taken, please contact our NLU staff photographer James Richards at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. We will try to accommodate as many requests as possible, but there is no guarantee due to travel and scheduling conflicts.

  *   Groups of at least five people
  *   At least one week's notice, include date and time
  *   Consent of the volunteer site to allow photography

Don't forget to RSVP for the Spring Connection on May 20!  Click here to register - 2016 Spring Connection Registration<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2016SpringConnection>.<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2016SpringConnection>

Thank you!
2016 Spring Connection Committee