NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L Archives

National Louis University Announcements Archives

NLUANNOUNCEMENT-L@LISTSERV.NL.EDU

From:
NLU Announcement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:16:24 +0000
Dear NLU Community,

In the midst of continued uncertainty in our communities and our world, it is even more crucial for NLU to remain vigilant toward our noble mission of educating and empowering our students to better their lives, the lives of their families and the communities in which they live and work. I'm writing this message with respect to protecting the rights of our immigrant and undocumented students, so they continue to have a safe and productive environment in which to study and focus on their future successes. I encourage every member of our community to consider ways you can personally offer support and encouragement to these students who may be experiencing fear, anxiety, uncertainty or a sense of disenfranchisement.

The University will continue to honor its commitments to all current and future Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) undergraduate and graduate students. People from all backgrounds and nations are welcome at National Louis. Accordingly, we are taking the following positions within the law to support our undocumented students during these uncertain times.

  *   We will not permit federal officials on campus to gather information about immigrants in our community absent a subpoena or similar legal order.
  *   Our staff and faculty do not and will not ask about the immigration status of members of the NLU community, nor voluntarily share such information with law enforcement.
  *   We will vigorously uphold the privacy protections granted to our students by federal law.
  *   The University is committed to continuous monitoring of the implications of the executive order and will reach out to those directly affected.

While federal agencies work to find a common understanding of the executive order, we strongly urge students and faculty from the countries affected to defer travel outside the United States. We also encourage students to consider the University resources that are available.

  *   International students who are attending NLU on an F1 visa should be in contact with Brisbane Rouzan to ensure compliance with all visa requirements. For appointments, students can contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
  *   Counseling Services are available to support students more personally as they balance the stress that such uncertainty brings. For fee counseling appointments, students can contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
  *   Using "Protect Yourself from Immigration Raids<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?OneMillionDegrees/3a3b09017c/TEST/28f561e8c7>>" as a recommended resource distributed by the American Friends Service Committee.
  *   Additional resources will be made available in the coming weeks, including a website for centralized resources, communication updates, faculty and staff training, and a collection of legal aid and pro bono resources. Stay tuned for an announcement updating the community on our progress.

Thank you for your continued support as we navigate these issues. I'm continuously encouraged by the humanity and hope that each and every one of us can offer during these uncertain times.  It's this community spirit that embodies National Louis and sets the foundation that so many of our students need more than ever before.

Nivine Megahed
Nivine Megahed, Ph.D.
President